About the Carlton Football Club
Carlton Football Club is one of Australia’s oldest and most prominent sporting institutions.
With 16 Premierships, we are the equal most successful club in the AFL.
We are a proud foundation Club of the AFLW and a Grand Finalist for the 2019 AFLW season.
Our future is being shaped by a strong vision and underpinned by our core values.
We believe that a united football club, relentless in the pursuit of excellence who hold ourselves and each other accountable can achieve anything.
This is the Carlton Way.
About the position
Carlton Football Club is seeking to appoint an outstanding individual with a reputation for high performance, authentic leadership and who has a strategic mindset to the position of General Manager, Women’s Football.
Reporting directly to the Head of Football, the General Manager Women’s Football, is responsible for the leadership of the women’s football department of the Club. The General Manager Women’s Football will deliver sustainable on-field success, underpinned by:
- A strategic and analytical approach to planning and decision-making
- A cohesive and effective football team, including coaching and analysis staff, performance and fitness, recruiting, player welfare and administration staff
- The effective management of football operations
The position will drive a team dedicated to managing the strategic direction and policy implementation of the women’s program with respect to recruiting (talent identification), player list management and contracting, budget preparation, financial control and forecasting, information technology, coaching resources, facilities improvement, sports science initiatives and player education, training and leadership
The General Manager, Women’s Football will have demonstrated leadership capabilities, preferably from a high performance and elite sporting environment. The successful candidate will be an outstanding communicator and have the ability to liaise with a range of staff, players and stakeholders whilst maintaining a high-performance mindset.
Sound knowledge of the operations of the AFLW and VFLW programs and compliance requirements is essential as well as the ability to champion the Club values whilst leading a team dedicated to achieving success for the AFLW and VFLW programs.
This position will be offered on a full time and ongoing basis and will be based at Ikon Park in Carlton North. The General Manager will be required to work outside of standard business hours including evenings and weekends as required. A competitive remuneration package will be offered for the right candidate and commensurate with relevant skills and experience.
Key responsibilities for the General Manager Women’s Football
The key responsibilities for this role are, but not limited to:
- Oversight of team and department culture, including providing leadership on values and behaviours and championing these values and expectations
- Integration of the women’s program into the whole of club culture, values and behaviours
- The development and implementation of the Club’s long-term Women’s Football Plan, addressing:
- Coaching and analysis, including game plan development
- Player fitness and skills development
- Football budget and resource allocation
- Recruitment and List Management
- Professional and personal development of staff and players
- Player welfare, medical and allied health professional services
- Departmental structure, staffing and administration
- Undertake benchmark comparisons of resources and financial information against other AFL Clubs and other sports as applicable to monitor current data and market trends with respect to other elite level Clubs and sports
- Manage the strategic direction and policy implementation of the women’s program with respect to recruiting (talent identification), player list management and contracting, budget preparation, financial control and forecasting, information technology, coaching resources, facilities improvement, sports science initiatives and player education, training and leadership
- Forecast and oversee the Total Player Payment commitments to ensure compliance with AFL regulations and internal budgetary directions, including the negotiation of responsible Player Contracts with third party representatives (player Managers) in conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer and Head of Football.
- Maintain the management of contracts with annual budget and negotiate contracts for all new or re-contracted staff within the women’s program.
- Oversee the Club’s talent identification and recruiting procedures in conjunction with the Recruiting Officer.
- Oversee and co-ordinate all Match Day, team travel and accommodation requirements for women’s football matches and any Club promotional and/or training Camps to ensure the organization and presentation of the team on and off the field is always executed in an efficient, timely and professional manner
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge and adherence to all AFL and AFLPA rules and regulations including, but not limited to, the requirements of the players’ Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), medical, supplements, gambling and illicit drugs policies and programs.
- Represent the Club at all AFL and AFLPA meetings held for all Clubs that relate to women’s football
- Develop and foster relationships with range of key third party stakeholders; valued Club sponsors; Coterie Groups; the AFLPA and AFL Victoria
- Produce documentation and reports as required informing the Club’s Board of Directors of all women’s football department activities and decisions
- Represent the Club in the media to provide information and handle enquiries relating to women’s football operations issues
- Previous AFL industry/elite sport management experience as well as sound knowledge of the operations of AFLW and VFLW programs and compliance requirements
- Commitment and ability to champion the Club’s Values and actively role models authentic and empowering leadership across the organisation
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team to high performance through coaching, mentoring and other development opportunities
- Consistently champions clear, authentic and emotionally intelligent communication styles
- Ability to influence with integrity and an ability to demonstrate dispute resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to demonstrate and promote a growth mindset
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Experience and knowledge in managing budgets, financial implications in decision making processes and the ability to set and then work within budgeted parameters
- Ability to provide regular analysis and present verbal and written reports to a range of internal stakeholders including the Head of Football, CEO and Board
- Current Drivers Licence
- Qualifications in Business Management or similar
- Previous senior management experience in an AFL Club